4 cups black beans, cooked
2 tablespoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Wash and soak 2 cups of dried beans the night before. Rinse off soaking water, place into pot with 3 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add cinnamon and cumin.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- If you use canned black beans, empty into pot, mix with cinnamon and cumin, keeping about 1 cup of liquid from the can. Cover and cool on medium for about 10 minutes.
- In a pan, sauté onions and garlic with oil.
- Mix beans with sautéed onions, raw peppers, a pinch of cayenne and salt.
- Garnish with cilantro and a wedge of lime.
Recipes made available by the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.